Spring 2023 Plan // Apply // HEERF // Careers at Cobleskill

Traveling and Re-Entry into the US



You are not restricted from traveling within the United States. However, we recommend that you carry your passport and I-20 with you if you are traveling outside of New York State.

If you are traveling outside of the United States, you must bring your passport, I-94 and I-20 to the Executive Executive Director of International Education or Office of Admissions before traveling. It will be necessary to verify that all of your documents are valid and you are in good status. Only then can your I-20 be endorsed for re-entry. Your Form I-20 must be signed for you to be able to re-enter the United States. You should obtain permission to travel two weeks before your travel date.

If your visa is expired or if you have changed status since your last entry into the U.S. you will need to go to the U.S. Embassy in your home country to renew/change your visa. Be sure to allow sufficient time for this. Depending on your circumstances, it could take up to a month for the visa to be issued. Be aware that there is always the possibility that you could be denied. We strongly discourage going to Canada for visa renewals or changes. If you are denied a visa renewal/change from Canada you will not be allowed reentry in to the United States.

When you re-enter the United States you will be given a new form I-94. The new I-94 will have a pre-printed new number on it. It is important that your previous I-94 number be written in the spaces under the new number. You should always maintain the same I-94 number.

When traveling internationally always check if you need a visa to enter that country.

After your return to the United States come to the Office of Admissions with your passport, I-20 and I-94 to make copies of the new USCIS entry records to keep in your file.